Google Trends is a free tool that allows you to know which search terms are in fashion and their evolution over time.
It is an extensive database that you can use to analyze your target audience’s search intent and behavior in the digital world.
This article will show you how Google Trends works so you can use it when designing your sales strategy. In addition, we share 3 professional tricks that will help you boost your brand.
Suppose you already have a sales website or are thinking of creating one. In that case, this Google tool will be an excellent ally for your digital enterprise.
Please take note of these tips and apply them to your business!
Table of Contents
What are Google Trends?
Google Trends is a free marketing tool showing the popularity of a specific term searched for on Google itself.
Trends mean trends in Spanish, and this resource precisely shows the search propensity for specific keywords. That is, how many times and how often a particular term is entered into the search engine.
In Google Trends, you can also find demographic data, queries, and topics related to the keyword you want to investigate, to broadly understand current trends.
Through this tool, you can identify if your product or service interests your target audience and how that interest has evolved in recent months or years.
Remember that you can filter searches by country, city, year (data is available from 2004), and segment.
These are some of the questions you can answer with Google Trends:
- Is the product or service I want to sell sufficiently searched on the internet?
- What times of the year is my product or service most likely to be sold?
- What is the search history of my product or service?
- What is the search trend for that product or service in the future?
How to interpret the data?
When using this resource, be aware that this is a sample of all search requests made to Google. In the words of the company itself, this sample:
- “It is anonymous (no one is personally identified), categorized (based on the subject of search queries), and contains aggregated (grouped) data.”
- The value of this information lies in the fact that Google manages billions of searches daily. Although it is only a sample, this data set is truly representative, and we can access it in a matter of minutes.
What is Google Trends for?
Now that you know what Google Trends is, we invite you to learn about 8 key features of this powerful tool.
Know the most searched terms in the last year
Suppose you are planning your marketing and sales strategy for the following year. In that case, this general Google Trends report can give clues about the most relevant topics in America and internationally.
If you have an online business, knowing that the keyword “Hot Sale” was the sixth most searched for in 2022 is excellent information to encourage you to participate on this particular date and attract users looking for offers at that time of year.
Likewise, suppose you have an online sporting goods store. In that case, you can consider replenishing the stock of NBA-related products since, in America, it was the third most searched term.
2. Identify daily and real-time search trends
Another exciting resource in Google Trends is the section dedicated to daily search trends and the most relevant terms of the last 24 hours.
Although this is a section with the news spread through the media, reviewing these trends can help you use the Tik Tok meme or dance of the moment in your social media strategy. It will arouse your audience’s interest, increase your brand’s reach, and even impact your sales.
In this link, you can check the trends in real time, and here we show you the daily search trends.
Find topics related to your product or service.
To discover how to take advantage of this functionality, let’s imagine that you have a guitar store and want to know what complementary products you can offer your customers to increase your average ticket.
In this case, you only have to access the main page of Google Trends and write the keyword of your interest. Look:
Then, go to the “Related Topics” and “Related Queries” sections.
In this example, we see that a “guitar bag” is a crucial product for your business, as well as making a “free online guitar tuner” available on your website, where people fill out a form, leave you their emails and access the tool free of charge. Thus, you can initiate mailing actions to convert those users into customers.
Discover regions with high sales potential
With this option, you have the possibility of knowing in which provinces of America or cities of the world your product or service is most sought after. Thus, you can focus your marketing and sales efforts on those places.
Continuing with the previous example of the store that sells guitars, Google Trends reveals that the term “guitar” is most searched for in Chubut, Tierra del Fuego, Río Negro, Neuquén, and Buenos Aires. Look:
5Research the competition
Periodically monitoring how searched your competitors are on the web is essential to analyze your niche’s performance. With this in mind, take advantage of Google Trends to investigate how often people search for your competition’s products, services, and brands.
Create SEO and content marketing strategies
From the related search terms that Google Trends throws up and the information about their importance in certain places and at specific times of the year, it is possible to create increasingly relevant content for your buyer person (that is, the representation of your client’s ideal).
Likewise, knowing the search trends in the country and the world will allow you to produce new and striking content to direct that traffic to your website.
Plan SEA actions and advertising on social networks
Just as Google Trends helps create content that ranks well in search engines, this tool allows you to write paid ads with the most searched words. That is precisely what SEA ( Search Engine Advertising ) is about: advertising on Google.
Likewise, knowing the trending search terms will help you generate more and more timely advertising on social networks to attract more users to your brand.
Awaken your creativity
If we had to summarize the main features of Google Trends in one sentence, it would be “spark creativity.” In a world as changing as the digital one, having a resource that constantly gives us ideas about national and international trends is valuable.
If you already want to start using this Google tool, we will share a step-by-step to do it today.
Step by step: how to use Google Trends
Access Google Trends
Enter this link, click “Login,” and use your Google email account. Select the “Create account” option if you don’t have one.
Write a keyword
In the central bar that says “Enter a search term or topic,” enter the keyword you want to explore and click on the magnifying glass. For this example, we will use the keyword “sneakers.”
Next, the following options will appear:
- Compare: in this space, you can write another related keyword, and Google Trends will show you a graph with the comparison. Remember that you can compare up to 5 terms at a time.
- America: this filter will be shown by default if you are in the country, but you can choose “All the world” or the nation you want if it applies to your business.
- Last 12 months: here, you can configure the period you want to analyze.
- All categories: it is a beneficial filter if you need to know the behavior of a term in a specific type.
- Web Search: This filter only shows the results of the terms investigated in the Google search engine. In this section, you can also see the keyword behavior in Image Search, News Search, Google Shopping, and YouTube Search.
View data by subregion and related topics
You can filter by location and access queries and topics related to your search term on the same main page.
3 tricks to take advantage of the potential of Google Trends
If you want to incorporate Google Trends as a recurring work tool, these tricks will allow you to get the most out of it.
Download the data to analyze it better
Whether researching a single term or comparing several, Google Trends allows you to download the information. CSV format so you can see the results in Excel or a Google Spreadsheet in detail.
Click the download icon (arrow pointing down), and voila!
Insert the graph in a web
Suppose you have a blog, an informative website, or a sales site and consider that it may be relevant for your reader to know the search trend of a particular term. In that case, Google Trends allows you to copy and paste a specific code to insert into your website.
Let’s take a concrete example: if you have a clothing store. Suppose you want to encourage your customers to buy leather jackets from your latest collection. In that case, you can insert the Google Trends graph that shows how this garment significantly increased its search volume compared to the previous one. Last year, that is, it was fashionable!
Subscribe to receive search trends
Suppose you want to receive search trends in America or another country automatically. In that case, you can subscribe to Google Trends alerts and receive updates by email.
To do so, you must go to Search Trends > Daily and click on the email icon (✉️). Next, it will give you the option to choose:
- The region.
- Top Daily Search Trends, Most Daily Search Trends, or All Daily Search Trends.
- The frequency: when it occurs, once a day and once a week.
Alternatives to Google Trends
More than options similar to Google Trends, the following resources can serve as a complement when creating your business strategy.
- Google Keyword Planner: It is a free tool to discover new keywords related to your business and see estimates of the searches they receive and the cost of creating ads on Google with them.
- Answer the public: just by typing the keyword you want to analyze, this free resource shows you the users’ questions on the internet based on that keyword. In this way, you can write content that answers those frequent questions. You can filter by country and language.
- Ahrefs: It is a paid SEO tool that gathers information on more than 150 million keywords. Its database is differentiated by country.
- Ubersuggest: It is a free platform that suggests combinations of keywords according to the keyword you want to investigate. The tool will show you volume, difficulty, and related words by entering the keyword in your search engine.
All ready to know the trends of the moment?
We hope that this practical guide will help you get the most out of Google Trends so that your brand reaches its goal of attracting more customers from the trends that set the standard in America and the world.
And if you haven’t decided to sell online yet, but you’re looking for the popularity of certain products because you’d be interested in doing so, try and create your own business.